Tuesday, March 29, 2016

KC

So my homies and I are going to Kansas City at the end of April.
I am not quite sure what to expect but I am curious to see how that goes.

I just wonder how it will be dealing with being a minority in the area. Two (2)% of the city is of Asian descent, and I know when you are in any type of community and you are minority in the strongest sense of the word, you get treated different. I know the feeling all too well being in the community I was raised. I'd walk to the store around the corner and get long stares followed with the "sup chino!". SIGH.
I mean, it has been a lot better within my community but that is because Los Angeles is one of the more if not the most progressive areas when it comes to race and diversity...
But this area? I'm not too sure how progressive they are in regards to that.
I've heard stories from others, mostly Asian individuals, who have traveled to the South and they get subtle hints of racism. Whether it would be a stare, or getting ignored at the bar, or even getting food last at a diner, its all still present.
I guess I'm very curious to see how I will be treated when I'm in there.
It might be something I want to document, but really... that may be a bit cynical of me. If I go into the situation with that mindset, I'm obviously going to view it negatively.

So with that, I can't let the negativity blind me. I should go into this experience with an open mind. I'm looking forward to eating some good ass food from 'MURICA!!
I hear all the BBQ diners would be worth the trip!! So thank lord for BBQ!!! And possibly being the person who gets served last in the restaurant.
LOL.


Aldrich.


No comments: